Rob Gets Credentials

Although Rob won't talk about himself in third person, he
seems alright with a selfie here and there...
I'm going to begin this entry by changing tense from the title. I am Rob, and I am going to write as myself. After all, my name will appear as the author at the bottom of this article anyway, and I've never been one to talk about myself in the third person.

Last summer, as I started back to school to finish up my Associate of Horticulture Degree, I set another goal: to get my Georgia Certified Landscape Professional, Certified Plant Professional (formerly Certified Nurseryman), and ISA Certified Arborist within a year. I call it "The Trifecta", and I want to do it not only because not many folks have (more on that in a minute) but also because I love what I'm able to do in this industry and want to promote the best practices and opportunities for folks like me that there are.



Although the Georgia certifications are voluntary, these certifications are basically all the credentials that are available to a Green Industry Professional in Georgia.  It is really all that separates the guys that just started cutting grass when they got laid off from Hewlett Packard (not that there's anything wrong with earning a living) from folks who take the time to learn and understand everything they can about their vocation.
The GCLP program is endorsed by the Georgia Green Industry Association, the Georgia Turfgrass Association, the Metro Atlanta Landscape and Turf Association, and officially recognized by the Georgia Department of Agriculture. 
I got my GCPP in summer (# 1622) and have just today attended the EDGE Expo in Duluth to complete the written portion of the GCLP exam in expectation of finishing up the hands-on portion sometime in spring. Since the GCPP exam is more comprehensive in the Plant ID portion, I was exempted from taking that part of today's exam.

Anyway, here's how I did on the sections I was required to take:

[[[BOOM]]]

Regarding "The Trifecta," I only know of one other Landscape Professional that has this same goal, and he still has to get his Arborist. I'm hoping to take the test the same day he does this summer. Wheres anyone can call themselves a landscaper in Georgia whether or not they have the credentials to back it up, no one can call themselves an Arborist without completing the exam. I expect this to prove a challenging chapter in my professional development.
_____________________________________________

Post Script: Finishing up the exam and on my way out of the Infinite Energy Center building, I saw an old friend, Everett Ward, running a Belgard training class.
It's been years since I've done any business with him or anyone in the concrete industry, but I remember him from my 'scaping days as one of my favorite product representatives, always ready to offer support to any contractor. I'm glad to see him still at it, but what really intrigued me was what I thought to be gabion baskets at first- there were these wire cages that fold flat and snap open.
They turned out to be an amazing wall and column building system that seems to be new to market for 2016- I can't find anything about them on Belgard's website. Check out how the wall is sitting on a drop-in-place modular footing, then the blocks are literally clipped onto the wire frame. So many possibilities, it makes my mind swim, and I'm sure any contractor who sees this system will be thrilled at the idea of building a freestanding wall without any wet masonry. I wish I'd been able to hang around and talk to him about the system, but I'm sure it'll be hitting the market soon. 


Comments

Popular Posts