Porcini Update

I took my buddy Justin foraging with me yesterday and between the deer, the dry air, and us, I am pretty sure it's time to give my picking spot a rest. It took us both to get as much this week as I did by myself last week.
The good news is- the mushrooms that we got are drier, so they are keeping much better and they are coming in at much more volume per weight, so customers should be pleased. We also got many more pins and buttons, which tend to mean less waste in the kitchen, since you don't have to remove the pores from the cap, and the large caps we got, being drier, will hold up better to a few days storage than the heavier, wetter ones we were getting right after the rains last week.
Justin and a GIANT mushroom.
The bad news is that this may be the last week of picking. We're looking at a couple more spots tomorrow in hopes of maybe sustaining this harvest for one more week, but unless we get some rain, this is likely about the end of it.
Keep your fingers crossed and we'll keep you posted.

Comments

  1. We went out today and found mostly melted-down remains of former Kings. I suppose it was more of a scouting mission than foraging. If we get some rain soon and the weather remains mild, we might see another flush this season. If not, I'm afraid that what I will be delivering tomorrow will be "it".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts